Glengyle seen from above in the 1950’s with John Mosby Highway in the upper right.
Some time around 1790, a two-story stone house was erected near a stream just off the main route between Alexandria and Winchester, two important towns in the young American nation. As the years went by, that route became more heavily traveled and the little stone house became larger and larger as new sections were added. Somewhere along the way, the property acquired the name Glengyle, a Gaelic word meaning Pleasant Valley.
About 150 years later, in 1947, Glengyle was purchased by a couple named the Weavers who lived here for the next several decades. He was an attorney practicing in Washington, DC and she was an avid horsewoman and gardener, and later, a celebrated traveler, author, and university lecturer. She was known for her remarkable insights into the mysterious worlds of China and the Soviet Union.
The pair set to work creating a country estate that would host dignitaries from all over the country and around the world. Visitors would come to enjoy meals served in the large informal dining room, studded by beams supporting the long ceiling, and warmed by an enormous hearth at one end of the room. They would swim in the pool, then shower in one of two dressing rooms off the cabana room, before heading out to enjoy the remarkable gardens located along the winding paths that crisscrossed the property. They would enjoy eggs from the chickens, ducks, and geese in the poultry house before setting out to the pond where they might lunch later in the large, sunny boathouse. If the weather was chilly, they might warm themselves by the wood stove in the boathouse, or return to the main house where they would find a fire burning in one of the many salons or library. At the end of the day, they could find a cozy bed in one of the six comfortable bedrooms.
Even after her husband’s passing, Mrs. Weaver continued hosting visitors and caring for the spectacular grounds designed by the renowned landscape architect, Lester Collins. She remained an active member of the local garden club and the Piedmont Fox Hounds and lived two years past her one hundredth birthday.
The home, pool, gardens, carriage house, and rear pond seen from above on a recent fall day.
After Mrs. Weaver’s passing, her heirs made the decision to preserve the home, the carriage house, the boathouse, the poultry barn, the screened sleeping porch, and the other farm buildings, as well as all of Lester Collins’ spectacular landscape – the seven acres comprising the heart of the property – and to sell the rest of the land to accommodate the needs of a growing Loudoun County. The new owner has kept much of the surrounding land in permanent open space and is building a neighborhood of single-family homes on the remaining acreage.
The northside courtyard in 2017, from the same angle as the 1950’s photo.
Available now for the first time in 70 years, Glengyle retains the warmth and elegance that greeted all those guests over the decades. It will make a lovely family home in this new century, or perhaps an inn, guest residence or school, or whatever use the fortunate new owner will choose for this remarkable, historic property. Please contact us for additional information or a private showing.
While the information contained in this article is considered to be true and correct at the date of publication, changes in circumstances after the time of publication may impact the accuracy of the information. The information may change without notice and Middleburg Real Estate, LLC is not in any way liable for the accuracy of any information printed and stored or in any way interpreted and used by a user.
All MRE | AP agents are licensed REALTORS® and subscribe to NAR's strict Code of Ethics, which is based on honesty, professionalism and the protection of the public. We fully support and operate in accordance with The Fair Housing Act.